Connection to others is a basic human need which gives us a sense of belonging, provides meaning, purpose and significance. Through connecting to the wider community, resilient people develop life skills and social comptencies, build strong support networks, and engage in meaningful activities.
- Explore what gives you meaning and what you are passionate about, as it is much easier to make connections to others if you can find a common ground which you are enthusiatic about.
- Based on this exploration, identify groups of people you would like to connect to.
- Observe what you might need to change in yourself to enable you to develop links with these groups.
- Practice ways of breaking the ice with new people so that you are able to to get over any initial barriers to communication.
- Learn to be appropriately open with people, while accepting that rejection is possible. This is much easier if you can be non-judgmental yourself.
- Develop congruence - be honest about who you are and what you are looking for.
- Engage in activities that make a real difference in the community, such as social activism or volunteering.